How To Prolong The Life Of Your Battery
There are a number of reasons that your car’s battery can run down quickly or go completely flat. However, there are also some things that you can do yourself to ensure that you get the most out of a battery.
Remember, if there is a fault in the battery itself then it may need to be changed. This can be done yourself using our simple how to guide.
We’ve come up with some tips to keep your battery going for as long as possible.
- Drive your vehicle regularly. Leaving your vehicle for extended amounts of time without it being used at all will affect the battery’s charge. If you’re going on holiday for more than a couple of weeks then ask a friend of neighbour to start the car and take it for a 5 minute spin. Even just reversing out of the drive and back into it can make a huge difference.
- Have your car serviced regularly. Poor car and engine conditions can run the battery down and reduce its life span astronomically. Make sure your vehicle is serviced on a regular basis to ensure issues like this do not happen.
- Check the charging rate of your battery. When you do go for a car service, ask that they check the charging rate of the battery. Under as well as over-charging can run batteries down which can lead to problems. This may also affect your vehicle’s warranty.
- Ensure your battery is secure. Check the battery is secure in its place under the bonnet. Even if it is secure when you install it, vibrations can cause the battery to come loose. Check regularly to avoid loose connections with the battery posts and clips.
- If you battery is flat, don’t attempt to start your car. In newer models this can severely damage your radio, headlights and other vehicle components that run off the power from the battery.
- Avoid draining power. Avoid leaving vehicle accessories on for a prolonged period of time. Remember, constant recharging can also damage the life of a battery.
- Keep it clean! Moisture and dirt particles can get into the battery case and cause it to lose charge. Make sure that all posts and clips are checked and cleaned at a car service or by yourself every once in a while.
Following the simple tips above should prolong the life of your battery.
Get a little help from the experts
If you believe that you may have a fault in your battery, take your vehicle to a specialist. The garage will pick up on any faults an inform you of the next steps. Protyre offer Free Battery Checks to all of our customers. Click the button below to book your vehicle in today.
Free Battery Check
About the author
David is the National Retail Operations Manager for Protyre. One of David’s areas of responsibility and expertise is dealing with the DVSA and MOT’s for Protyre. As the Authorised Examiner Designate Manager ( AEDM ) David deals with applications for changes to the many Vehicle Testing Stations ( VTS’s) including managing the growth of the Number of MOT testing stations that Protyre operate, allocating MOT tester roles, and monitoring the MOT Test logs to ensure that Protyre MOT standards are maintained as the best in the industry. David handles the relationships with our parts suppliers to ensure that Protyre only fit the best quality servicing parts, brake parts, and other aftermarket quality parts at the right price. David is also involved in ensuring that all technicians are trained or assessed to carry out the work completed in all centres, and that Protyre has a robust Quality control ( QC) Procedure in all centres. David is also involved in developing the customer service standards and customer service training for all Protyre team members to ensure that all Protyre customers can expect the highest levels of customer service. At Protyre we believe we have the highest levels of customer service excellence that can be found, not only in the garage industry, but also when compared to other retail organisations. Another area of expertise is David’s involvement in developing Protyre Operational, Environmental, and safe working procedures. David has worked for some of the UK’s best retailers and this expertise has been a key component in helping develop Protyre into a highly respected company within the fast fit industry. David’s mission is ensuring that Protyre is the local garage that you can trust.